If you're searching for a delicious recipe for your Lunar New Year celebrations, look no further than these delectable vegetarian dumplings. They're quick to make and easy to serve, making them a great addition to your next dinner party!
1 package wonton wrappers
3 tablespoons oil, plus 1/4 Cup
1 large onion
1 1/2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
1 1/2 cups carrots, finely shredded
1 cup chives, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
salt, to taste
chili paste, to taste
- Place a large skillet on the stove at medium high heat, add 3 tablespoons oil and all of the ginger. Heat for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the onions and stir-fry until translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Add the carrots and cabbage, stir fry for another 2 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Transfer everything to a large mixing bowl and wait for it to cool. You can place the bowl in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
- Once things have cooled, add the chopped chives, sesame oil, dry sherry, pepper, soy sauce, sugar, and salt to taste.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup oil as well as the chili paste (skip this step if you don't enjoy spice)
- Clear a clean area to assemble the dumplings.
- Pour a small bowl of water and set it to the side.
- Lay the dumpling wrappers out one at a time, use your fingers to moisten the wraper than drop 1 1/2-2 spoonfuls of vegetables in the center.
- Fold the wrap over on itself, wet your fingers in the bowl then use them to seal the dumplings by lightly pressing along the edges.
- Once the dumplings are assembled, you can cook them by heating a small amount of oil in the pan and lightly frying them. You can also cook them in a bamboo steamer if you're looking for a healthier option, both ways produce delicious dumplings.
This post was created in collaboration with Hailey Wilson of Verse and Venture Photography, you can see more of her work here.